One tutor mentioned that his learner continues to struggle with word recognition and spelling of relatively simple words.
- It was suggested that the tutor-learner team might try using the Ultimate Phonics software in the computer lab to further reinforce the basics of sound-symbol relationships and spelling patterns.
- Another suggestion was to work dictionary skills into the tutoring sessions so that the learner can better understand how to identify syllables and pronunciation.
- Another good idea involved teaching spelling and vocabulary words from materials that correspond to the interests and goals of the learner. In this way, the learner will be more motivated to learn the words.
- One tutor suggested asking the learner to write about TV show they view regularly. This exercise would make writing easier since the subject is something they have a great interest in.
- Another suggestions was to use the picture response method to generate a writing sample. The tutor might use photos from the newspaper, magazines, or even personal photos that the learner could bring in.
- It was also suggested that perhaps the learner could get involved with the Wednesday Night Readers Book Club and find some interesting reading material to write about. Learners who participate in the book club also have access to the unabridged audio book so even if they might struggle with the reading level, they can still listen to the story and write about their reactions.